Friday, June 01, 2007

Me, my Specialized, a new helmet, and $1

I set out for an impromptu bike ride last night. The first of the season. After dusting off the cobwebs and searching high and low for my bike lock, a water bottle and pouch (to no avail), I stuffed everything in my pockets and hoped I didn't get thirsty. Map My Run informed me this morning that I biked about 10 miles. I'm not sure how that compares to any other form of workout, but it sure beats going to the gym. The temps were probably still in the low 80s, and I definitely worked up a sweat, but the breeze was nice as I soared through the streets of D.C. The destination of my ride was Eastern Market which, for those of you way outside of the beltway, was recently engulfed in flames and has since been closed for (hopeful) renovation. I went mostly out of curiosity and a little bit to pay my respects.

Now that I have a bike helmet, I not only felt like a bad-ass, but I was probably more fearless than I should have been. Zipping through the streets, and even around Columbus Circle at rush hour - I could do anything. At a petite 5' 2", I fell right in line with the athletic men sporting bike shorts. Keeping pace with the best of them. A veritable Lance Armstrong.

From the bustle of Mass Ave. and into the quiet tree lined streets of Capitol Hill, I passed by rows and rows of old townhouses, pausing in front of the one that my husband used to live in when we (re-) met a few years ago. Eastern Market was where we would pick up our veggies and as a special treat, a pound or two of short ribs for braising. Today the city is banning together, to raise funds and to rebuild.

On my way back into the city, I followed close to the same route. Past the monumental arches of Union Station, 'round the bend towards the new convention center (where, thankfully, a man was closing up shop on his hot dog cart and had a cold water bottle with my name on it), and back through Logan Circle.

This city is an exhilarating place and a bike is a great way to explore it. Each neighborhood holds its own character and they work together to form the plot. But, it is up to you to navigate its story lines.

If you are in the market, let me recommend Bike Rack DC.

1 comment:

Sarah at Advancing the Plot said...

I just checked out MapMyRun.com. Very cool, thanks for the info. I love walking around D.C.