Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Working Out: On Demand

I've hit a new low. On Demand workouts.

Last night as I left my office, it had become sunny again after a brief rain storm earlier in the afternoon. Things were looking up. I left my gym bag with my sneakers and gym clothes at work, purposely, because I decided on a bike ride instead. Half way through my walk home, somewhere around Rhode Island Avenue and 17th, the skies opened up in all their glory. My flimsy, yet very chic, umbrella could not hold a candle to the force coming down from above. My flip flops started squeaking, then slipping off my feet as I rushed to get home. Somewhere in my depression over the rain storm and now my lack of ability to work out, I remembered that On Demand has an exercise section to its menu and perhaps I would find a yoga or pilates "class" to take.

Finally I'm home. Soaked, but not much worse for the wear. I quickly change into some yoga clothes before I have a chance to change my mind, plop on the couch, and watch Seinfeld re-runs. I even vacuum the rug before I start browsing through my On Demand options so that I'm starting with a "clean slate" so to say. There is cardio, yoga, pilates, kick-boxing - you name it! This is looking better than the selection at the gym! I finally decide on "Cardio Dance." Sounds fun.

Well, it was all I could do not to laugh my way through my entire work out. And several times, I really did laugh out loud. Here I am, in my living room alone, doing "runway struts" and "grapevine shimmies" with these four beautifully toned women on my plasma screen - barking orders to me but never breaking their plastic smiles. Who are these people? I worked up a sweat right off the bat and then they told me that we had just completed the warm-up. "Have fun with it! Add some soul! Shake and shimmy! Get FUNKY!" Seriously?

I do have to say it was a good work-out, and a nice alternative to the gym when all odds are against going. Though next time, I'll need to work on my shimmy a little more and put some more attitude into my runway strut.

2 comments:

Beets and Bonbons said...

True! But I felt really silly strutting the runway in my living room - summoning my inner diva. Next time maybe I'll try kick-boxing, so instead I can look like a bad-ass.

Beakerz said...

Gotta agree that while it may sound stupid, the workouts are pretty good. Watched one and it looked pretty tough, you know, as I ate my steak and potatoes and broccoli after a 2 mile run =)

Meanwhile, my chica found it to be a tough workout herself. I think she did the 1-mile running and some kinda body sculping "with some cute black guy" she said she said.

and "I worked up a sweat right off the bat and then they told me that we had just completed the warm-up." had me rolling. lol.

Maybe I'll have to try it.