Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My Psychic Ipod

I can't possibly be the first one to think this, but I really believe that my Ipod is psychic. Or just really really smart. When set on shuffle, it tends to read my thoughts, and provide the accompanying soundtrack.

Ok, here's a concrete example. This morning, while walking to work, I saw the cutest old couple sitting on the steps of their townhouse, each typing away on their own laptop and sipping cups of coffee. It was really the cutest thing and I couldn't help but think about how much I hope I lead a similar life at their age. They were with it, of the times, and looked very much in love.

My Ipod, set on shuffle, took cue from my reverie and tuned up Love Theme from Saint Elmo's Fire.

Time goes on
People touch and then they're gone
But you and I
Will never really end
We'll never love again
Like we did then

A sad tune, for sure, and probably talking more about a love that didn't last, but I still thought it was effective in describing an older love like these two were lucky to be sharing.

Next up - The Times They Are A Changin' by Simon and Garfunkel (yes, my Ipod was breaking out all of the oldies today).

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

Well, this couple clearly heeded Paul and Art's advice - you could tell they were not going to go quietly - with their matching laptops and all. They are living in a decidedly younger neighborhood and are quite adequately keeping up with the times.

At this point, I'm getting exciting with my Ipod's talents. What song will be next? Maybe an 80s love ballad, or a greatest hit of Air Supply - how is this story going to end?

Walk Idiot Walk by the Hives.

So that's where the story ends. And apparently my Ipod is trying to tell me something.

2 comments:

jen said...

i've thought that too -- it's a little eerie!

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one - trust me! My iPod Nano does that a lot.