Thursday, June 14, 2007

Working Out: On Demand Part II

Last night, circumstances (again!) prevented me from going to the gym. Two parts laziness, one part finding "more important" things to do. So, I again turned to On Demand to fit in my daily exercise. This time, I opted for Tae Bo - because I vaguely remembered a celebrity craze from the early nineties. My instructor was a big BIG man, with arm muscles the side of my head and as the program got underway, I felt it was seriously false advertising. There is no way this guy got that jacked by throwing punches into thin air. So I learned the one punch, the two punch, the three and on and on until we were ready to put it together into a routine. I had a hard time remembering the numbers and maybe that's why he kept yelling at me to scream the numbers back at him every time I punched. There were two other exercisers on the screen - one equally as jacked woman with a set of abs to rival my washboard [I don't have a washboard, but if I did...] and a man - pretty average looking - who also refused to call out the numbers of his punches, or maybe his microphone wasn't working, I don't know. But what I do know is that big Mr. Tae Bo man kept turning toward the woman to indicate an example of good form, so I imagine the other man was either supposed to represent me, the student, or was as annoyed at big Mr. Tae Bo man as I was that he, too, was rebelling.

And on another bizarre note, there was a banner in the background that said, "Walk by faith, not by sight." Are my exercise instructors trying to preach spirituality to me now? I'm not a Bible person, but a quick Google search yielded this scanned from the Sept/Oct. 2006 issue of Christianity Magazine.

No comments: