Thursday, June 28, 2007

30 going on 12

I got carded at a restaurant last night for the second time in recent memory. I was out with my husband and my mother-in-law, which incidentally was the same company I was keeping the first time around. The scary part... I'm sure the waitress thought I was my husband's younger sister and we were out with our mom.

Now that I've turned 30, though, I've decided to take a different approach. And instead of getting huffy about it all, I just laugh it off. Maybe even make the waitress uncomfortable by joking, "Did you think I was his sister?" as I emit one of those "ha, ha, ha" laughs. (That's mean, I realize, and I've never worked in food service, and I do know she is just doing her job. If it is any consolation to me, she did look embarassed to have to ask.)

The problem is, I don't know how else to try to look older. I dress professionally during the day and stylishly at night. I wear heels to make my 5' 2" frame appear taller. I just got a sleek new haircut. I've been blessed to have never found a gray hair or wrinkle - yet. The only thing I can think of is that I'm flat-chested. Very. And I've got no plans to do anything about it. Ever. So, if that's what is holding me back from joining the ranks of my 30 year old looking peers, so be it. Guess I'll just have to get used to carrying around my ID - for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha - I forgot to ask how dinner was! I got carded last night too! I was at a work bowling event and arrived with a partner at my firm who is probably about 40. The bouncer (yes there was a bouncer at the bowling alley!) let him right in and then turned to me and said "are you 21?" in this tone where I could tell he was saying, I know you are not really 21 but i will let you in anyway so that we don't make a big scene here since you are obviously with an older guy! I turned to him and said - I am 30! That made him really not believe me. Oh well - hopefully when we are 50 we will still look so young!
- R (your faithful fan)

Anonymous said...

I don't know what it is. I'm 35 and I still get carded for cigg's.
I asked the cashier what age you have to be to purchase tobacco and he just said "89." I guess that means you have to be 18...
I know I look young and everyone says I should be happy about it, but when I'm getting carded 4-5 times a week for cigg's, it gets pretty annoying.

BTW- the secret to looking young is smoking...hahaha. Been a smoker for 20+ years and I still get carded.