Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Wake Up Call

I admit that I am completely wrapped up in this presidential election. It is all that I've been talking about it, I stayed up to watch the Super Tuesday returns, and I'm counting down the days until I get to vote on the 12th.

I also admit that I live in somewhat of an insular bubble. I often like to think that I'm in touch with other people and groups who are not just like me, but the truth of the matter is that I stick to my circles and social conversation often revolves around the interests that we share. That being said, I do look forward to moments, like the one I'm about to describe, that offer me a well-needed wake up call into what goes on in greater society.

I walk home from work every day passing a church on the corner of my block. I often stop to talk to the parking attendant (he inquires on why I haven't moved my car in days primarily so he can offer to buy it from me and I ask him what upcoming events are going on at the church, mainly so I can be sure that my car is not boxed in if I do need it.) Last night, after inviting me to a pancake breakfast and inquiring about my work-out regimin, I asked him if he was ready for the election this coming Tuesday (the church also happens to be my polling place and as the parking attendant, I figured he'd be busy since the predictions are for record crowds.)

The following is the conversation:

me: So, are you ready for the election on Tuesday?
him: Yeah, I'll be coming in on Monday night to help set up the machines. Is this the Obama - Hinton thing? (I'm fairly sure he said "Hinton" - I know he didn't say "Clinton.")
me: Yes, the presidential primary. Its going to be a busy voting day since the votes have been so close.
him: Oh, I thought it might be a school board election.

I walked away after our conversation reminded of the "everyone else," which is in fact a very large number of people, who do not know of or have no interest in this election. In 2004, only 64% of the registered voters actually voted. (This number has increased from 58% in 1996). As a democracy, we allow people to choose if they want to vote - which is, of course, a good thing - but the risk involved is that although our leaders are elected by a majority, they may be chosen by the few, not the many.

Then I wondered where the disconnect is. Is it that this person belongs to a social circle in which discussion of the upcoming election is not prominent, or does he not have access to the information?

I came out of the conversation remembering some words from my grandfather when we would jokingly disagree on our favorite candies, ice creams, food etc. "That's why they make vanilla and chocolate!"

It's all about choice.

No comments: