Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Love, Love

I’m joining a girl’s tennis group tonight. Well, not exactly joining – let’s say forming. It is the first night that four of us ladies – who I know in varying degrees – are starting a bi-weekly tennis outing, and I’m psyched. It has been, literally, ten years since I have picked up a racket. Ten years since I took tennis as my gym requirement in college. And would you believe that I once was a member of a four-year undefeated, all-state championship high school team? Well, ok, I never quite made it to Varsity – it was too hard. These girls had tennis courts in their back yards! One even took a season off to train with Bolletieri. Sometimes the coach would let me play 2nd doubles on Varsity if we were playing a really bad team, but I found being at the top of JV wasn't bad either. Nevertheless, I remember my tennis days with fond memories.

Intense preparation each year at summer camp. Falling in (secret) love with my way hot tennis coach – he was from South Africa, and made me feel like I was destined to be the next Jennifer Capriati (in her stable days). High school pre-season in the staunch summer heat. Taking the bus to matches and tournaments. Learning every word to “Jump Around” (it was our pep song). And, leaving the same matches and tournaments with “We are the Champions” blaring through the windows. I had two tennis partners over the course of the five years, and although we are not close anymore, I do still smile when I hear stories of what they are up to now. One just had her second baby, and even had gone on to play tennis in college.

I gave up tennis after high school. I thought about trying out for the college women’s team, but the truth is, I wasn’t good enough. Plus, I wasn’t about to get up EARLY to practice! Not after a long night at the local watering hole. After college, I moved on to golf, at the extreme excitement of my parents. Both are so-called “life sports” and I do hope they carry with me for a while. My husband golfs, so it is easy to get an outing now and then. And here I am about to pick up tennis again. It is not going to be pretty, I hope the others know what they are in for. My forehands have been known to soar over the fence after a while of not practicing. But, hopefully with time, I’ll get the smooth strokes back, the thrill of rushing the net, and the wicked serve I used to have.

Game (on).


No comments: