Thursday, May 10, 2007

Coppi's Organic Restaurant: A Taste of Real Italy

Coppi's Organic Restaurant
1414 U Street, NW
http://www.coppisorganic.com/

Coppi's is one of those restaurants that I've grown to love over the past few years. When I first moved into the neighborhood and prior to my really understanding "organic" and all that it meant, I thought that Coppi's was a place for Whole Foods Vegetarians. Yes, I realize how completely naive this thought was (and truly, I've never passed up a vegetable so what's the big deal), but in the interest of full disclosure, I'm putting it out there. Since, I don't consider myself a WFV, I would always pass it by without much of a second thought.

Then, as it happens so often, my pre-conceived notions are shattered in the blink of an eye. Through some force of the universe, I was invited to Coppi's with some good friends of ours and my world was changed. Upon entering the dimly lit restaurant, my first intake of the Italian aromas awoke my senses like a hammer to the head. The smell of toasty wood-fired pizzas and savory cream sauces filled the air.

If you don't have a reservation, you can plan to wait by the bar for a while before being seated - but this is a great place to indulge in a chianti and the Piatto Salumaio platter (an antipasto with smoked salmon, smoked mozzarella, prosciutto, calabrian salami, and San Remo olives). It is complemented by a really delicious focaccia bread.

At the table, you'll have the chance to peruse the menu. It is not huge, overwhelming, or even downright unmanageable (a la Buca di Beppo) - al contrario, you can tell that a lot of planning went into the food selection and while there are only 5 or so pastas and entrees to choose from, the menu is accompanied by an ever-changing list of specials, which I find have consistently proven to be top notch choices.

The salads are excellent and most likely because they are organic. The lettuce and vegetables are crisp like they are right off the farm. My favorite salad is the Condijun, a traditional Ligurian salad of roasted red peppers, cucumber, bliss potato, olives, and red onion. It is a beautiful marriage of flavors.

You'll find more pizza options than pastas and entrees and the best part about the pizzas are the wide variety of choices. Get a few to share and everyone at your table will be happy. Everything from a standard margherita pizza to more inventive options such as the Genovese (basil pesto, shrimp, fresh mozzarella, pine nuts) or the Merguez (lamb sausage, ricotta, cucumber, onion, rosemary, garlic, tomato sauce). One of my favorites is the Soppressata with salami, ricotta, mozzarella, mint, parsley, cremini mushroom, red onion. The salami arrives with crispy edges from the wood burning oven.

But save room for dessert - if you love nutella as much as I do, then you must indulge in the Calzone Di Nutella. Yes, it is pizza dough stuffed with nutella and yes it is to die for. Another popular and delicious option is the Caffe Viennese with Illy espresso poured over house made fiordilatte ice cream with fresh whipped cream and Dutch chocolate powder. Order up a cappuccino and you'll feel like you're in a cafe in Florence.



*** (out of 4 stars)

20% tip: order food to share, everyone will want a taste of yours.




___________________________
On the road to saving something:

May 9:


  • Happy Hour/Dinner: $20

No comments: