Sunday, September 09, 2007

What Goes Around Comes Around

Can you believe it? Ok, you don't know what I'm talking about yet. If you haven't read my last post, Life's Little Lessons at the Safeway, you should read it now before proceeding any further... then come back!

This afternoon I drove over to Trader Joe's to get the ingredients I need for our Island dinner tonight (I'm making spiced island shrimp over jasmine rice with pineapple "island" cornbread). I loaded up my basket, waited through the winding line and as I approached the check-out counter, I realized that I didn't have my wallet. No cash, no credit cards, no ID even to buy the three bottles of wine I picked up.

Talk about "pay it forward." No one jumped to my rescue, just as I let the man in front of me leave without being able to take his groceries with him. There is justice in this world, isn't there? The difference, unfortunately, is that I did have the money to pay for my groceries, it just required a 10 minute ride home to get it. (Which, by way of postscript, I did. And returned back to Trader Joe's where they had so thoughtfully put my grocery cart full of items in the cooler to wait for me. Then, as luck would have it, I wound up being directed to the same guy behind the cash register who tried to ring me up a half hour earlier...).

What goes around comes around.

No comments: