Friday, January 06, 2006

Puppy Love

This morning, I had another of those back to reality moments. It was a cold, windy morning and I was focusing hard on putting one aching leg in front of the other to get myself to work. (I went to yoga last night and the pain had already begun to set in.) I’ve got my blinders on, looking straight ahead, not wanting any distractions. I am focused and intent. Everyone is – its the few moments of self-preparation that everyone takes between leaving home and entering the office. Going through checklists, rehearsing phone calls, wondering what the day will bring. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spot a very cute puppy on a walk with his owner. I look up, and around, noticing that everyone around me has their eyes on the puppy too and a smile on their faces. For one moment, those walking down 15th Street took a breath, and relished in the delight of a puppy – with no meetings to attend, no phone calls to return, no co-workers to deal with. A block later, a car honks, a man yells to another, “get out of my way, you f**ckin’ piece of ass trash!” … phone calls, meetings, check lists… maybe work doesn’t seem so bad after all.

No comments: