Thursday, June 05, 2008

A Thing that Amazes Me (and other tales from the recent past)

A Thing that Amazes Me...

1) The number of people who keep a pen, paper, AND tape in their cars. I can understand a pen and paper - in case of an accident, to jot down a grocery list item, or to pen the idea for the next great American novel, but tape? I am amazed when I see notes taped to meters noting they are broken and just wonder, who keeps tape in their car?


Other tales...

I gave money to a random man the other day. I got stopped on the way home - I truly thought the man was asking for directions, which is why I stopped to listen. He was clean cut, dressed well (shorts, shirt, belt, backpack, baseball cap), and was articulate. He started with a story - something about the bus down the street, missing a bus, working at the zoo for the past three days. Once the nature of the request started coming together I realized I was trapped. Sure, I could have just walked away, but I felt that my time frame for doing so had already passed. So, I reached into my bag and gave him $1. And, if I read his expression correctly as he took my dollar, I think he was thinking, "that's it?" Perhaps since I haven't been in the business of giving out money to everyone on the street who asks, I haven't picked up on inflation!

And to end this random post, some pictures from biking around D.C.:




No comments: